- Home »
- Gallery 1 - Local Mid Wales Walks
- Gallery 2 - Walks in France
- Gallery 3 - Big Walk - Cape Wrath to Fort William
- Gallery 4 - Big Walk - Fort William to Glasgow
- Gallery 5 - Big Walk - Glasgow to Garsdale
- Gallery 6 - Walks in Portugal
- Gallery 7 - Big Walk - Garsdale to Presteigne
- Gallery 8 - Big Walk: Presteigne to Bristol
- Gallery 9 - Big Walk: Bristol to Lanceston
- Gallery 10 - Big Walk: Launceston to Land's End
- Gallery 11 - Caldbeck to Ambleside, Lake District
Please see Latest News for Fundraising updates and details.
Every year Rainbow Development in Africa organises sponsored walks. These are a great way of raising funds. (They certainly beat sitting in front of a computer!)
Our walks generally last three to five days straddling a weekend in the Spring or Autumn, with the occasional single day walk. In groups of five to eight, walking for two and a half or three and a half days we cover some 30 to 50 miles. All walks are strictly tailored to walkers’ wishes, needs and abilities, as our sole objective (besides raising funds, of course) is to for people to enjoy themselves. Although it is nice to test oneself a little and to get out into some serious countryside, these walks are not endurance feats and the evenings generally find us in some cosy pub or restaurant before retiring to a B&B or hotel.
All costs involved in our sponsored walks are covered by the walkers themselves, meaning every penny raised from sponsorship goes to the charity.
Walks conducted to date include: multiple walks in Connemara and the Burren in southern Ireland; two walks in the Cevennes and along the Cathar Way in France; many single day walks in Mid-Wales (local to where Rainbow is based); a delightful walk in the Alentejo in Portugal; and multiple walks as part of THE BIG WALK, an 944 mile, mass participation trek spread over a number of years from Cape Wrath in the most northerly part of Scotland to Land’s End. (See News Updates to see where we have got to on the Big Walk, and see Downloads for the Big Walk map and sponsorship forms.)
From time to time other events such as musical evenings, dances and exhibitions take place.